Saturday 16 March 2013

Snow, Part 2

It was Thursday night, and as I checked the weather forecast for Saturday I felt sure that the prediction of a little light snow would not stop our band of trusty green-fingered gardeners. After all, we had had our most productive day yet the last time it snowed. I was resolute. A little white powder wouldn’t stop us. The allotment would be on!...

…As I shivered and wrapped my duvet around me tighter early on Saturday morning, I decided to peek out of the window to see what the weather was like. I awoke to a gardener’s worst nightmare: a thick blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape, with not a single inch of colour to be seen. It was snowing heavily and I could barely make out the houses across the road. The allotment would have to be cancelled. Mother Nature had caught us out this time. After alerting everybody of the cancellation (which came as a surprise to no-one!), I dived back under the covers and hoped our vegetables were better at withstanding the cold than us mere humans.

Still waiting to enjoy a summer's day on our new bench...

At least the weeds aren't growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment